Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Spring Blog #2: High School

The greatest learning experience of my life is still going on now. It's High School. Although I'm being challenged by my classes, that's not where I was truly learning. It was in High School where I finally learned how to be social. In elementary and middle school, K-8, my entire grade was 50 kids. And I was with those same 50 kids the entire time. So what little social ability I had as a toddler was lost upon entering school. When there's only 50 kids, you're friends with everyone. So you become great at keeping friends, but abominable at making them. Fast-forward to freshmen-year, I was a shy, anti-social boy, terrified of classes, girls, and the world in general. Going from a 50 kid grade to a 500 kid grade is a bit of a shock. But it was through these long and arduous semesters that I realized that EVERY kid had these same insecurities and fears. The only difference was they didn't let it hold them back. After my epiphany, I decided to force myself into social situations and model my behaviors after those around me, and low and behold, I flourished. I developed into a better version of me, one that wasn't afraid to put himself out there and take risks. And I don't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment